F-1 Visa students and their F-2 dependents are required to buy Rutgers International Student Health Insurance. This includes access to health centers on campus, major medical, and hospitalization. Students are also required to provide proof of certain immunizations and health testing before arriving in the US.
All students are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccines approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). For students outside of the US, Rutgers will accept proof of vaccination by a World Health Organization (WHO) approved vaccine. The list of current Rutgers-approved vaccines includes:
Johnson & Johnson/Jansenn
Required Immunizations and Health Testing
Prior to beginning your studies at Intensive English @ RELI, immunization and health testing information is needed to meet New Jersey State Law and Rutgers University requirements. If all required immunizations are not completed prior to your arrival in the USA , you will have to get the inoculations here, which may be more expensive. The following immunizations are required:
- WHO approved COVID-19 Vaccine (see above)
- Two (2) doses of MMR (or two doses of each individual measles, mumps, or rubella vaccine) given after one year of age and separated by at least one month, or a positive blood test for immunity to each disease is required for all students born in 1957 or later.
- For non-immigrant visa holders born in a country with a high prevalence of TB, a clinician or health department must complete results of tuberculosis skin testing and chest x-ray (if indicated).
- Meningococcal vaccination is required for all new IE @ RELI students living in University housing.
- You will be unable to receive your room key on move-in day if you do not complete and show proof of meningococcal vaccination (per New Jersey law, effective September 2004).
- Special meningitis immunization clinics will be scheduled and available for students desiring to receive the meningitis vaccination on campus. Due to the high cost of the vaccine, students will be asked to pre-pay for the vaccine at the time an appointment is scheduled.
Rutgers University Health Services
Health Services - International Students Health Insurance
Local Community Health Resources