Good news! For fall 2020, incoming and returning Rutgers students can now complete the Graduate English language assessment remotely.
The Graduate English Language Learners Program administers the Versant English Placement Test (VEPT) to graduate students who are required by The School of Graduate and Professional Studies to complete an internal English language assessment at Rutgers. The VEPT is a computer-based English language assessment that measures proficiency in speaking, listening, reading, and writing. The assessment takes only 50 minutes. Exam questions reflect many different situations in the classroom and real world including reading aloud, conversations, dictations, summarizations, and email correspondence.
Who is required to take this assessment?
Graduate students who are on an F-1 visa and who meet the following criteria are required to take an English Language assessment with our office:
- Employed as a Teaching Assistant in the 2020-2021 academic year
- Hold a special condition on their Admissions Certificate to complete an assessment and coursework with the Graduate ELL Program
- Required by their department to assess and register for a Graduate special seminar
How do I register to take this remote assessment?
- Create an account on ita.rutgers.edu
- Make sure to include a recent head shot photo on the account creation page, or if you have an account, please make sure to edit your profile and upload an image
- Once you have created an account, you will receive an email from Pearson Versant with instructions to log into the VEPT remote assessment site
- **You will receive an email within 2 business days.
- You will have one week to complete the assessment
- You will be notified via email once your score is reported in the Graduate ELL Assessment Portal (ita.rutgers.edu)
- Important: Based on your assessment results, you may be required to complete 1 to 2 Graduate ELL courses.
Please see the Fall 2020 Assessment Information flyer